Blog #3


I have been involved in various forms of youth work in my lifetime. At a young age I began babysitting for neighborhood children, and then moved on to watching groups of children at a time. When I moved to LA my freshman year of college, I decided I wanted to work in my aunt's daycare at her gym and help out there. It was a great feeling to be working with multiple children at a time. Children that I would see on an almost daily basis and form relationships with them and their families. I even babysat for some of the children from the daycare.

Today however, I just started my internship at the YMCA in Middletown, RI, for their after school program. I am excited to learn more about helping youth in a non-profit setting and seeing what goes on in programs such as this one. Although I am new to the team, I already am excited to begin this new chapter of my youth work.

In the article by Jenkins, it talks about how "we can rehearse and acquire core skills and knowledge through play because play lowers the stakes of failure." These are supposed to help youth work better in the real world. Working with children of all different age groups, especially at the YMCA, I want to make sure that children see more of their youth than just being in school. Which is why I feel that after school programs are so important.

Image result for ymca after school programs

Comments

  1. Hi Bailey!!!
    I agree with your logic of working with groups of children. Making connections with the children and their families is so important on both ends!! I also agreee with your philosophy that youth can grow and learn in an environment that is not school!

    You go Girl

    -Elananananananana

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Bailey! Working with Groups of Children Is so rewarding! Dont you love to see the bond grow as the parents begin to trust you more and they will look for you when they have a question because you become their go to? Awesome to have those connections! I am excited to hear more about your internship as you get started! I am sure you will learn a lot about play though the children!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Bailey,
    I enjoyed reading your blog! I could relate on a few main points that you stated. For instance, about the after school program! I believe that kids do need the time after school to learn about the community.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bailey! can't wait to hear about your new experiences at your internship and how youll be able to bring aspects of play to your new space!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Youth Stereotypes

Injustice