Injustice

A time in my life when I personally experienced an injustice, was when my ex boyfriend was being charged with domestic vandalism, he pled guilty in three separate court cases, and after the third case I was asked to come into court as a witness to the crime. Luckily, the ADA was able to get him to plead out the case, but the thought of having to appear in court while I had a restraining order on this man, and see him face to face after 6 months seemed terrifying. I found this to be unjust because having to face your abuser in court doesn't seem right to me. Why should the person who was abused have to face them just to prove they are telling the truth? I felt anxious and scared, I thought this was all behind me. I had already moved on, gotten a new job, found a new boyfriend, and felt better all together. SO when I received a phone call from the ADA prosecuting my case, I fell apart. I was furious that he pled not guilty not once, not twice, but THREE separate times. 

It wasn't until I finally agreed to go to court, that they pled the case out because he KNEW he would lose the case if I showed my face.
Overall, if this situation happened again, I would do the same thing. I would tell them that I would appear in court and tell the truth, so that justice could be served. However, I don't think it is right or just for me to have to appear in court just to prove I am telling the truth.

My experience of injustice may connect to other people who have experienced domestic abuse and/or vandalism. It is extremely hard to face your abuser and admit what really happened. Being strong throughout this whole ordeal was extremely hard for me, and for others who have experienced similar situations. I hope that anyone who has dealt with the court systems can relate to this and stay strong and hope that the justice system does a good job at getting justice for you.

Image result for domestic violence





Comments

  1. I really enjoyed your post. Thanks, for sharing it with us! Sorry, you had to experience that! I would've felt uncomfortable too if I had to go to court in that period of my life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed reading your post, and thought it was really great you shared something so personal and hard. I commend you for being so strong and making it through that. Domestic abuse is such a terrible thing to go through and i'm so happy that you are at a better place in your life! Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. BAILEY!

    oh my god. Your experiences with your ex-boyfriend sound so traumatizing. I had no idea that something like this happened to you. I am so happy that you were able to persevere through your challenge and DOMINATE.

    you are awesome


    -E Dog

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Bailey,

    Unfortunately I cannot relate to your issue as I have never had to deal with that sort of situation, but I can empathise with your situation. I can see how difficult it must have been for you and unfortunately the courts on not very sympathetic when it comes to domestic issues. I am glad that you were able to remain strong and get justice for yourself.

    Keep fighting and stay strong!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Blog #3

Youth Stereotypes